Skip to main content

Coronavirus Updates: Visit Cornell’s COVID-19 and Reactivation Planning for campus-wide information. Visit FAQ for Cornell's International Community for university coronavirus plans, academic resources, visa status, travel, and more.

Apply for CPT

In F-1 student status, you may use Curricular Practical Training to obtain off-campus work authorization for internships or other work in your major field. You are eligible for CPT if you will have been enrolled in your academic program AND have F-1 status for a full academic year by the start of the internship, and you have valid F-1 status at the time you apply.

Your degree program must require this off-campus employment, or you must be able to register for a credit-bearing course in your major that requires the employment. Usually students do an internship in the summer and take the course the following fall semester.

To apply, you must first have a job offer! Your job offer letter must include your internship's start and end dates. Then follow these steps: 

  1. Complete Form

  2. Bring Docs

1 Complete the CPT application form

Fill out the student information and internship information sections of the application form completely, and then have your advisor, course professor, or co-op office fill out the middle section. 

Note: If you are taking Law 6730, NMI 5100, or ILR 5990, you do not need to complete this form. You can apply using the links on the F-1 CPT page

2 Bring your application and job offer letter to the Office of Global Learning.

It is best if you apply for CPT authorization at least two weeks before you plan on beginning your job. Bring your completed application and job offer letter to 300 Caldwell, and sign in to speak with the advisor on duty. The advisor will create a new I-20 for you in 2-3 business days.

If you are in Ithaca, you can pick up your new I-20 in person at the Office of Global Learning. If you are no longer in Ithaca, we will arrange a secure method of shipping.