Skip to main content

File Your Return with Sprintax

Are you ready to file your federal income tax forms? Use our free Sprintax tax preparation software for internationals! 

You must submit your federal and state tax returns by April 18, 2022. You’ll need forms from Cornell or other employers before you can file. The Sprintax access code is now available. You will get it when you follow step 2 (below). If you’re a nonresident for tax purposes, you can’t use TurboTax or other tax software designed for residents.

Sprintax now offers E-tax filing! No need to print your return and mail it to the IRS, this E-filing option will allow you to submit your return digitally. If you've already filed by paper, do not also E-file. To E-file, log into Sprintax following the instructions in Step 2. Then, complete the Sprintax questionnaire and proceed through the order breakdown and payment stage. You'll have filing options and one will be "Proceed with E-file." If you prefer to file by paper for any reason, you can do so. Find more information on E-filing.

Any questions on how to use the Sprintax software should go to the free, live Sprintax support team – log into your account to contact them.

*ALERT* a phishing email claiming to come from "" offers recipients the opportunity to get a "refundable amount of 1400.00 USD." This offer is fraudulent - do not respond if you receive one. For more information on common scams and how to respond if you receive one, see this information.

  1. Gather Docs

  2. Create Account
  3. Follow Prompts
  4. Remember NYS

1 Gather your documents. 

Pull together the forms and documents that are relevant to you. 

Have your materials ready before you access Sprintax ...

  • W-2: This form reports your U.S. earnings. If you had more than one employer, you should get a W-2 from each. 

  • 1042-S: This form reports stipend, scholarship, or fellowship income; travel grants; or income covered by a tax treaty. 
  • 1099: This form reports miscellaneous income, including freelance earnings or interest on bank accounts. 
  • SSN or ITIN, if you have one 
  • Valid passport 
  • I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) form 
  • Your tax forms from last year, if you were in the U.S. and filed a tax return 

If you’re a current Cornell employee, you can find your Cornell tax documents in Workday. Go to View My Tax Documents in the Pay section. 

2 Create a Sprintax account.

Sprintax will save your information so you can log in and out without starting over. If you use Sprintax in future years, your information will carry over. 

To obtain the access code, which will be made available after all the tax-related documents from the University have been created, click General Services in myStatus and choose Sprintax Access Code. Submit the attestation. You will receive an automated email that contains the access code. 

3 Follow the Sprintax instructions.

Sprintax will help you determine if you are a nonresident or resident. If you are a nonresident, the software will generate your completed tax return or 8843 formIf you have questions, ask the Sprintax help team by online chat or email. 

4 Don’t forget your New York State taxes! 

Sprintax will figure out if you need to file a State return. Not everyone has to do one, but if you do, Sprintax will create your State return as well as your Federal return.

After you have completed the federal tax forms in Sprintax ...

You’ll have an option to use the software to fill out your state forms. The software will charge you a reasonable fee for your State return that is not covered by Cornell.   If you do not want to pay the fee, you can download the forms for free from New York’s tax website.

You must complete your federal tax form first, before you can do your state taxes. 

Need an Extension? 

Can I use Sprintax if I have graduated? 

You will need your Cornell NetID and password to access the software. If you do not remember your password, email us. We will give you a way to access the software. 

Who should I list as the administrative head of my program?

We suggest using the dean of your college. Visit your college’s website to find contact information for the dean’s office. 

I am a nonresident and filed my taxes using TurboTax. What should I do?

TurboTax is good software for residents, but don’t use it if you are a nonresident for federal tax purposes. If you’re a nonresident, and you’ve already filed resident forms, follow these steps: 

  1. Log into Sprintax. Complete the forms correctly and print them. If you have any questions, ask the help team at Sprintax. 
  2. Download a 1040-X form from the IRS website. 
  3. Complete the 1040-X form, including the final section explaining your mistake. 
  4. Attach a copy of the incorrect form and a copy of the correct form from Sprintax. Mail it to the address on the 1040-X instruction sheet. 

There is a fee for amended returns. Cornell covers the cost of all initial forms.