Skip to main content

Coronavirus Updates: Visit Cornell’s Coronavirus Resources and Updates for campus-wide information. Visit COVID-19 FAQ for Cornell's International Community for summer resources, immigration information, visa status, and more.

J-1 Academic Training

J-1 Academic Training is a type of off-campus employment that is directly related to your major area of study. J-1 AT is designed to allow you to apply the knowledge and skills you learned at school.   

If you are a J-1 student you can apply for AT either during your course of study or after you complete your studies.

Your AT may not exceed the amount of time it took for you to complete your full course of study or 18 months, whichever is shorter. If you received a Ph.D., your postdoctoral training may last as long as 36 months. 


You can apply for J-1 AT if … 

  • Your DS-2019 was issued by Cornell and has not expired. 
  • You have obtained approval for J-1 AT in writing from the Office of Global Learning.  
  • You are in good academic standing at Cornell. 
  • Your proposed employment is directly related to your major field of study as confirmed by your academic advisor. 

How to Apply for J-1 AT 

  1. Print App
  2. Get Offer
  3. Visit Us

1 Print out the application.

Read the Academic Training application instructions. Have your academic advisor fill out the advisor section. 

2 Get a job offer letter.

Ask your prospective employer to give you a formal job offer on company letterhead. 

3 Visit the Office of Global Learning.

Bring us your completed application and your job offer letter and speak to the advisor on duty. The advisor will give you an updated DS-2019 form and a letter authorizing your employment. 

What if my DS-2019 was not issued by Cornell?

If your J-1 sponsor is outside of Cornell (such as Fulbright or IIE), you need to ask your sponsoring agency if you can apply for J-1 Academic Training. 

Can I  still apply for AT if my DS-2019 has expired?

You must apply for AT before the ending date on your DS-2019.  

What if I’m in a non-degree program? 

All J-1 students in degree or non-degree programs may apply for Academic Training.

Can I work full-time while on J-1 AT? 

If you are still attending classes, you may work part-time while school is in session and full-time during the summer and winter breaks. If you have graduated, you may work full-time.

If I did AT as a student, can I do more after I graduate?

Any AT you did before graduation will be deducted from your total allowable 18 or 36 months. 

When can I start my post-graduation AT job? 

Your job must begin no more than 30 days after you complete your program. 

What if I only work part-time?

Part-time employment while on AT counts against the 18 or 36 month limit the same as full-time employment. Your total training time will not be extended. 

Am I eligible for more AT after a second degree? 

You have only one opportunity for AT regardless of how many degrees you receive. 


Next Up: F-1 CPT