What if I don’t report a change in status within 10 days?
If you fail to submit the required updates within 10 days of the change, your F-1 record and your valid F-1 status may be terminated.
Do I need to be employed continuously while on OPT?
While on OPT, you may only be unemployed a total of 90 days. Begin to count days without employment from the start date on your EAD. You should include any days before you begin employment and any days between jobs.
How do I prove my OPT job is in my field of study?
For each job you hold, maintain evidence of your position and the amount of time you worked there. Include the job title, contact information for your supervisor or manager, and a description of the work you did. A signed letter from your hiring official, supervisor, or manager stating how your degree is related to the work you performed is especially helpful.
Requirements for STEM OPT Reporting
While you are on an OPT STEM extension, both you and your employer have certain STEM OPT reporting obligations.
You must report your STEM OPT employment and any other changes of status within 10 days. Report the following:
- Changes to your name, residence, or mailing address
- Any employment changes (ending a job, changing jobs)
- Names and addresses of all OPT employers
- Start and end dates of all OPT employment
- You decide to leave the United States, so you will not start or continue your OPT STEM extension