Check-In for Scholars
Welcome to Cornell!
We're happy you arrived. As a new Cornell employee, one of your first stops should be your host department. Staff in your department will help with your workspace, computer, NetID and email, Cornell ID card, and required hiring procedures.
If you're a J-1 exchange visitor ...
- The next step is to complete our online check-in.
- Do not come to our office to check in.
J-1 transfer-in? Do this instead ...
- Email us to request the J-1 check-in form in advance.
- We will send you further instructions about your check-in process. Don't try to check in online.
If you’re traveling on any other visa type, contact us if ...
- Your department asks for status verification.
- There are I-797 approval notices that you have been instructed to pick up.
I am not a J-1 scholar, I’m an H-1B ( or O-1, E-3, TN, J-2, F-1 OPT, J-1 AT worker). My department has asked for employment status verification.
Your are not required to complete an on-line check-in, but we are happy to provide a status verification form for international visitors on any type of visa. Please email us. Scan and attach your visa documents to the message.
I'm a J-1 scholar. When should I complete the online check-in?
- After you have entered the United States in J-1 exchange visitor status for this Cornell program
- No later than 30 days after the start date on your DS-2019
I'm a J-1 scholar. What happens if I forget to check in?
As a J-1 exchange visitor, you may lose your valid immigration status if you don’t complete the check-in procedure on time. Email us if you won’t be able to enter the United States and report to our office within the 30-day period. We will change your program start date to prevent your SEVIS record from expiring.
Online Check-In Procedure for J-1 Scholars
- University Identification Number and Limited Access PIN
- I-94 arrival record created when you entered the U.S.
- Local address (where you are currently living, not a P.O. box)
- U.S. phone number
- Email address
Your passport stamp and I-94 should show J-1 status and “D/S.” D/S means duration of status—effective for as long as you maintain legal J-1 status.
Take a screen shot of the I-94 or print a copy. This step must be completed before you can proceed with the check-in process.
2Complete the online J-1 check-in form.
3Complete a mandatory orientation session on-line. Instructions will be sent by email after you have checked-in. Please have your Cornell NetID and Employee ID ready prior to orientation.