Skip to main content

Sponsor E-3 Workers (Australians)

E-3 visa status is available to Australian nationals in a "specialty occupation" or a position requiring "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and attainment." Cornell will sponsor E-3 petitions for qualified individuals with academic positions.  

The E-3 is a nonimmigrant visa. Applicants must satisfy a consular officer that they intend to leave the United States upon termination of their E-3 status. An E-3 visa may be renewed in increments of two years. There is no grace period for E-3 employees, so the individual is expected to leave the United States on the last day of employment.

Our website has a wealth of information for international faculty and staff. We are also happy to advise you or your visitors in person.

How to Apply for E-3 

All E-3 applications, including extensions and amendments, require the same steps. 

  1. Get App
  2. Initiate App
  3. Establish Pay
  4. Obtain Visa

1 Get the application.

If this is an extension of E-3 status, for someone currently in the U.S., please contact us for an E-2 extension application checklist.

2 Initiate the application (hiring unit).

The hiring unit assembles the E-3 application materials. When all materials are collected, please send the completed application packet to the Office of Global Learning. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.

3 Agree on the pay rate. 

The Office of Global Learning determines the E-3 wage by comparing a prevailing wage determination from the U.S. Department of Labor to actual wage data provided by the hiring department. The hiring department must agree to pay the applicant the higher of the two wages.  The Office of Global Learning file the labor condition application (LCA) with the Department of Labor. When the LCA is approved, it is provided to the hiring department, or directly to the applicant, as desired.


4 Obtain E-3 visa (applicant).

The E-3 employee makes a visa appointment at a U.S. consulate or embassy to obtain the E-3 visa, as well as E-3D visas for dependents, if applicable. 


The spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age of E-3 employees may apply for E-3D status. The spouse of an E-3 employee may apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) to work in the United States.

Employment Restrictions 

An E-3 visa is specific to the employer and position. E-3 employment authorized for Cornell does not allow employment by another department, at another location, or for a different employer. E-3 employees are not allowed to accept honoraria for lectures or consulting work. 


Next Up: Sponsor B-1/B-2 or WB/WT Visitors