Skip to main content

Apply for a Green Card

You’ll need to consult with the Office of Global Learning before applying for a Cornell sponsored “green card” (lawful permanent residency). If you want to start the application process, please complete our consultation request form to request a meeting to discuss eligibility and filing procedures. The form can be found in the university employment section.

Cornell University files petitions for lawful permanent residence for international academic staff holding permanent academic positions. Read the full policy on how Cornell sponsors eligible candidates for lawful permanent residency.

Postdoctoral associates or fellows and those with “visiting” or “temporary” in their job titles are not considered permanent employees and do not qualify for Cornell sponsorship. 

Can I use my own lawyer? 

Cornell University does not allow outside attorneys to represent the institution in employment-based permanent residency cases, except under very limited circumstances. In such circumstances, there is a review and approval process for permission. Please contact the Office of Global Learning for information.