Skip to main content

Leave or Transfer

If you will be leaving Cornell and the United States or beginning employment with another U.S. employer, be sure to complete the Leaving Cornell form. If you're a J-1 scholar ending your Cornell program more than 30 days from the program end date listed on your DS-2019, you are required to provide this notification.

If you are in J-1 status sponsored by Cornell, and you wish to transfer to another J-1 sponsor, please complete a transfer-out request.

If you are leaving the U.S., remember that you'll need to file taxes from abroad if you had income from a U.S. source in the past year. Visit our taxes pages for more information.

Ten Things to Do Before You Leave

If you are departing the country, our checklist can help you get organized! Here are the top-ten things you need to do before returning home. 

  1. Change your address with the U.S. Post Office. Share your new email and mailing address with friends, business contacts, and professional associations. 
  2. End your data plan and make sure your final bill is paid. If you have a land line, contact the phone company to disconnect your telephone. Notify utility companies (NYSEG, cable, etc.). Ask if you can pay the bills before you leave. 
  3. Clear all accounts. Contact credit card companies to see if you can make outstanding payments before you leave. Close your bank account.
  4. File any medical insurance claims that are still outstanding. Pay the balance that you owe. Note when your health insurance expires to see if you are leaving the United States after this date. 
  5. Leave your permanent home address with your department, faculty supervisor, and others who might wish to contact you. Return any department keys. 
  6. Update your home country address in Workday. Request letters or documents from Cornell that you may need. 
  7. If you checked out books or other materials from the library, be sure to return them. Fines are imposed on missing books. 
  8. Return any other items you may have borrowed. If you have household items to pass on, donate them to other international students or scholars, or ask your friends to share them with new arrivals. 
  9. If you are taking a computer or technical equipment home, find out if you will need an export license. Consult your country's embassy to determine what other customs regulations may apply when taking your belongings home. 
  10. Check out of your apartment or rental. Leave a forwarding phone number and address with the manager. Return your keys, and request the return of your security deposit.