Skip to main content

Study or Research Abroad

While you are a student at Cornell, you may need to be away from the university for a semester or more. 

Maybe you have decided to enroll in an approved study abroad program through the Office of Global Learning Education Abroad. (If you are just beginning to consider study abroad, it’s a good idea to talk with a study abroad advisor about the best options for international students.)

Or maybe you are a graduate student pursuing research at another university or in the field.

These are great opportunities!

Plan Ahead

As an international student, you will need to plan your time away very carefully to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status. If you’re considering a leave of absence from Cornell, speak with the Office of Global Learning and the advising office in your college, professional school, or graduate program to determine how it will affect your immigration status and employment eligibility.

Learn more about how you can maintain your legal status while you’re away from Cornell. 

In Absentia Enrollment 

If you are a graduate or professional student, in absentia status is a type of registration that allows you to maintain your F-1 or J-1 student status at Cornell while completing research elsewhere. In most cases, undergraduate students are not eligible to take this type of leave.

You should discuss your particular situation with your graduate student services representative or professional school advising office to find out if you are eligible for in absentia and what procedures you need to follow.

Does in absentia count as full-time registration?

Yes, in absentia registration counts as full-time registration for immigration purposes. If you are approved for in absentia registration, you will be maintaining your F-1 or J-1 student status.


Next Up: Degree Change