Skip to main content

Stopped at the Border?

Call International SOS

Cornell partners with International SOS, the world’s leading medical and travel security services company. If you are a current international student, scholar, or staff member, and you are arrested or detained by a federal officer, or if you have experienced a serious accident or injury, please call International SOS (+1 215 942-8478) and reference Cornell's membership number: 11BSCA827281.

International SOS will immediately notify Cornell. Do not call 911 for immigration-related emergencies!

If you are traveling back to the United States and need a travel signature or new I-20 or DS-2019, don't panic! When you reach your port of entry, explain the situation to the officer, and ask the officer to admit you to the United States with an I-515A. The I-515A will allow you entry to the United States in F-1 or J-1 status for 30 days. If you get an I-515A at the port, visit International Services, and we will help you complete the requirements.

Contact us, not International SOS, for trouble with immigration documents.

Consult an Immigration Lawyer

If you are experiencing immigration problems and think you may need legal advice, please contact us first. Our staff will advise you on options and resources and help you determine whether you require an immigration attorney.

What is an immigration lawyer and what do they do?

Immigration lawyers are licensed attorneys who specialize in the field of immigration law. They function as the client’s advocate and can represent you before immigration agencies, both in immigration court as well as in filing applications for immigration benefits.

Immigration lawyers can give you general advice and can discuss your immigration options. Like all lawyers, they are bound by professional, ethical, and legal requirements and will keep all discussions confidential.

Where can I find a local immigration attorney?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Board of Immigration Appeals

American Immigration Lawyers Association

American Bar Association