Skip to main content

J-1 Travel Signatures

If you are a J-1 exchange visitor and you plan to travel outside the United States during your time at Cornell, you need a valid DS-2019 with travel signature to re-enter the country.

To obtain a new signature, either come to the office during advising hours with your original DS-2019 (as well as your J-2 dependents' original DS-2019s if they also will need a travel signature) OR request a reprint of your DS-2019 via our I-20/DS-2019 reprint request form. You will select whether you want to pick up the reprint in person, have it securely sent as a PDF, or have it express mailed (payment instructions are included in the request link). Express mail is required for international shipments.

Travel signatures are valid for twelve (12) months for J-1 professors and research scholars and for six (6) months for short-term scholars. You may be able to travel multiple times on one travel signature.

If your J-1 program is extended, we will give you a new DS-2019 with travel signature. If you have questions about your travel signature, here's how you can get advice.  

Other Visa Types Don’t Need Travel Signatures 

You don’t need to worry about travel signatures if your visa type is H-1B, O-1, TN, or E-3.

Next Up: Invite Friends or Family (B-2)