Skip to main content

Apply for an ITIN

An individual taxpayer ID number (ITIN) is for people who have to file tax returns but are not eligible for an SSN. Like an SSN, your ITIN is issued by the IRS for tax-reporting purposes only.  

Unfortunately, getting an ITIN is not a sure thing! Many ITIN applications are denied, in our experience, and it can take up to nine months to get a response. 

So what should you do? 

Wait to file your taxes or get an extension. 

If you don’t owe money on your federal or state tax returns, we recommend waiting until you’re eligible for an SSN to file your tax returns. There is no penalty for filing late when you don’t owe taxes.

Even if you do owe taxes, it’s easiest to wait to file your tax return until you get an SSN. You can request an extension to avoid penalties.  

Let Sprintax complete your application.

Our Sprintax tax preparation software for internationals will complete and generate a ITIN application (W-7 form) for you if you do not have an SSN. You will need documents verified by an IRS Acceptance Agent

You will also need these documents: 

You can also apply for an ITIN by completing a W-7 form and mailing it to the IRS.  

Be aware that neither of these methods is guaranteed. Students often wait for months only to have their applications denied. 

Never mail your passport! 

Never mail your passport or other original documents!  

The IRS requires “original documentation or certified copies” of your personal documents with the ITIN application. Please talk with one of our advisors if you’re not sure how to get certified copies.