Next Up: For F-1 Transfer Students
Check-In for Students
Welcome to Cornell!
We're happy you arrived. The next step is to check in.
If you are a new F-1 or J-1 student, and your I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by Cornell, you must complete the check-in procedure on our website. Do not visit our office to check in. If you're studying abroad or doing Study Away in your first semester, you do not have to check in now; check in when you begin your in-person program.
When should I complete the online check-in?
- Two to three days after you have entered the United States in F-1 or J-1 student status for your Cornell program
- No more than 30 days before you begin your program
- No later than 30 days after the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019
What happens if I forget to check in?
You may lose your valid immigration status if you don’t complete the check-in procedure on time.
How to Check In
- I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) form
- SEVIS fee receipt
- I-94 arrival record created when you entered the United States
- Local address (where you are currently living, not a P.O. box)
- Cornell NetID