Skip to main content

Coronavirus Updates: Visit Cornell’s Coronavirus Resources and Updates for campus-wide information. Visit COVID-19 FAQ for Cornell's International Community for summer resources, immigration information, visa status, and more.

Your First Week

Moving to a new country is exciting—and also confusing! In the first few weeks, there are many new things to learn about and accomplish. We hope this information will help you as you settle in at Cornell.

What to Do in Your First Week in the U.S.

Cornell insignia on glass of office doorway

Check In

Don’t forget to check in online with the Office of Global Learning! This process is mandatory for all new F-1 and J-1 students.

Students during their first day on campus

Review New Student Information

For new Cornell students at all levels. Find out about enrollment, move-in day, NetID and email, student ID cards, and more.

Students on the Arts Quad at Cornell

Register for a Full Course Load

Be sure you’re registered full-time to maintain your F-1 or J-1 student status! Your college will help you create your schedule.

Students in line at one of the campus dining facilities

Eat on Campus

Explore the opportunities! Find campus eateries, get a meal plan, and more.

Cornell motto carved in a stone university seal

Get to Know Cornell

Learn all about the university. Take campus tours, find maps, and more.

Statue of Ezra Cornell, university founder, with a red scarf

Find Helpful Tips

Check out our Life at Cornell resources for students. From transportation to health to English programs—we want to help you find everything you need.