Next Up: For F-1 Transfer Students
Status Activation for Students
Welcome to Cornell!
We're happy you arrived. The next step is to activate your status.
If you are a new F-1 or J-1 student, and your I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by Cornell, you must complete the required status activation procedure on our website. Do not visit our office to activate your status. If you're studying abroad in your first semester, you do not have to activate your status now; activate your F-1 status when you begin your in-person program.
When should I activate my F-1 status with Cornell?
- Immediately on arriving the US
- No more than 30 days before you begin your program
- No later than 30 days after the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019
What happens if I forget to activate my status?
You may lose your valid immigration status if you don’t complete the required status activation procedure on time.
How to Activate Your Status
- I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) form
- SEVIS fee receipt
- I-94 arrival record created when you entered the United States
- Local address (where you are currently living, not a P.O. box)
- Cornell NetID
Your passport stamp and I-94 should show F-1 "D/S" or J-1 "D/S". D/S means duration of status - effective for as long as you maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status.