Next Up: Your First Week
Status Activation for Scholars
Welcome to Cornell!
We're happy you arrived. As a new Cornell employee, one of your first stops should be your host department. Staff in your department will help with your workspace, computer, NetID and email, Cornell ID card, and required hiring procedures.
If you're a J-1 exchange visitor ...
- The next step is to complete your online required status activation.
- Do not come to our office to complete the status activation.
If you’re traveling on any other visa type, contact us if ...
- Your department asks for status verification.
- There are I-797 approval notices that you have been instructed to pick up.
I am not a J-1 scholar, I’m an H-1B ( or O-1, E-3, TN, J-2, F-1 OPT, J-1 AT worker). My department has asked for employment status verification.
Your are not required to complete an online required status activation, but we are happy to provide a status verification form for international visitors on any type of visa. Please email us. Scan and attach your visa documents to the message.
I'm a J-1 scholar. When should I complete the required status activation?
- After you have entered the United States in J-1 exchange visitor status for this Cornell program
- No later than 30 days after the start date on your DS-2019
I'm a J-1 scholar. What happens if I forget to complete the required status activation?
As a J-1 exchange visitor, you may lose your valid immigration status if you don’t complete the required status activation procedure on time. Email us if you won’t be able to enter the United States and report to our office within the 30-day period. We will change your program start date to prevent your SEVIS record from expiring.
Online Required Status Activation Procedure for J-1 Scholars
- University Identification Number and Limited Access PIN
- I-94 arrival record created when you entered the U.S.
- Local address (where you are currently living, not a P.O. box)
- U.S. phone number
- Email address
Your passport stamp and I-94 should show J-1 status and “D/S.” D/S means duration of status—effective for as long as you maintain legal J-1 status.
Take a screenshot of the I-94 or print a copy. This step must be completed before you can proceed with the Required Status Activation process.
If you already have a Cornell NetID you may login to the J-1 status activation form here: J-1 status activation with NetID.
If you are a new employee and do not yet have a Cornell NetID, please complete the required status activation here: J-1 status activation with TempID
- Complete Step 1: J-1 Scholar Status Activation form
- Complete Step 2: J-1 Scholar Orientation
- Complete Step 3: J-1 Scholar Report Employee ID (you will need to have your NetID and Employee ID to complete this step).