Skip to main content

Maintaining Your H-1B/O-1/TN/E-3 Status

This page is for international faculty and staff who have arrived at Cornell in statuses other than J-1. If you are a J-1 exchange visitor, use this page instead

Welcome aboard! Here are the key things you need to do to maintain your legal status now that you are working at Cornell.  The Office of Global Learning is here to help. Please explore our website for information about travel, taxes, and more.

Notify us if there are any changes in your employment. 

Are you thinking about a new job title, hours, or duties? You and your hiring department must report any proposed changes in your employment conditions to the Office of Global Learning well in advance. Email us

Follow the rules about outside employment.

Work only for Cornell in the position for which you received your visa status. Your status is specific to your employer and job. You can’t work for another employer unless they sponsor you. Find out more.

Notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) if you change your address.  Within 10 days of your move, use this online form to report your new address. This timeframe is a legal requirement.

Follow the policies and laws.

Comply with Cornell’s academic and conduct polices and all U.S. federal and state laws.

Update your passport. 

Keep your passport valid for at least six months past the expiration date of your status. When you travel outside of the United States, make sure you have the required travel documents before leaving.

Notify us if your Cornell employment ends early. 

Notify us if your Cornell employment ends before the end date on your petition. Your status is linked to your continuing employment. There is no grace period, so you will need to take steps to secure an alternate status or leave the United States promptly. 


Next Up: Extend Your Status