Skip to main content

Extend Your End Date

F-1 and J-1 student regulations require you to be full-time every term and make normal progress toward your degree—but you might find that you need more time. Maybe you changed majors or added a dual degree, for example, or need to make up for time missed during a leave of absence.

If you need more time to complete your academic program, you’ll need to apply for an extension to your I-20 or DS-2019. We are here to help! 

If you do not obtain an approved extension before the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you’ll be in violation of your immigration status. 

How to Extend Your End Date

  1. Plan Ahead
  2. Financial Docs
  3. Grad Students 
  4. Apply

1Leave yourself plenty of time. 

We recommend that you apply for an extension at least 30 days before the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. To have your end date extended, you must continue to be registered in your current program. 

2Obtain proof of your financial support. 

You must prove you have sufficient funding to cover your tuition and living expenses for the entire period of the extension. You will need to provide documentation: for example, an award letter, assistantship letter, bank statement, or sponsor letter. Any documentation provided needs to be date stamped from the last 60 days. 

3 Graduate student requirements. 

If you are a graduate student in one of the following degree programs, you must also obtain the signature of your graduate student services representative in the Graduate School: 

  • Ph.D., M.S., M.A. 

  • JSD, Law 
  • DMA & M.F.A. (Music) 
  • M.F.A. (English) 
  • M.P.S. Information Science 
  • M.P.S. Statistics 
  • Non-degree graduate students 

4Submit your extension request to the Office of Global Learning. 

Submit your extension application for F-1 Extension Request or J-1 Extension Request online form.  Talk with one of our advisors to make sure your extension is processed in time. The advisor will create your new form in five business days after we receive the approval of your academic advisor and/or the Grad School or school representative.

Will I need to update my I-9? 

Yes. If you work on campus, your I-9 employment eligibility form will need to be updated with your department.

The visa stamp in my passport and my new end date don’t match! 

Changing your degree program will extend the end date of your I-20 or DS-2019, but it will not extend the visa stamp in your passport.  

If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is okay to remain in the United States!  

The next time you travel out of the United States, however, you’ll need to apply for a new visa stamp at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country or anywhere in the world before you can reenter. It is not possible to renew your visa from within the U.S. 


Next Up: Transfer from Cornell