Skip to main content

Change Your Status (I-539)

Do you want to extend your stay in the United States or change your visa status? You can apply for these changes by completing the I-539 form online. You can also use the form to apply for reinstatement of your F or M status.

Do not use the I-539 form to extend your F or J visa status. If you're an F-1 or J-1 student, find out how to extend your end date. F and J extensions are processed by International Services.

You Manage Your Application

Before you apply, be sure to carefully review all information on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) I-539 webpage.

The I-539 is not an employer petition, so the Office of Global Learning cannot legally review or provide advice on your application. We can't answer questions about the required filing fees, filing out the form, or visa status issues. If you have any questions about your I-539, you must direct them to an immigration attorney. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need help finding a local immigration attorney.

Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff on H-1B, O-1, TN, or E-3 visas typically have an I-129 form filed with USCIS through a petition process sponsored by Cornell. Dependents are not included on your I-129 form. If Cornell applies for an extension or change status for you, your spouse must file an I-539 for him or herself, and include any dependent children on separate I-539A's.

Most TN and E-3 visa holders do not have I-129 forms, and apply for TN or E-3 status at a U.S. port of entry.

F-1 Students

If you need your F-1 status reinstated, be aware that reinstatements are very rare. Please contact us before filing a reinstatement petition using I-539.